Peggy Appel

2017 Specialty Debrief

Peggy Appel

We thought it might be helpful to start a topic so folks would have a place to make debrief notes related to the Specialty.  Everyone's input would be help.

Please comment on any of the following topics: 

Host hotel
Ringside breakfast
Ringside lunch
Casual Friday hosted get together
Banquet
Raffle/auction
Decorations
Setup space
Other

Peggy Appel

Ringside Breakfast:  I over bought. People were not as interested in muffins and fruit as I had thought they would be. I heard positive comments about having protein (cheese and eggs).  One carton of juice would have been sufficient. Coffee was great - stayed hot all day; the amount was correct. Use of the club urn worked much better than buying box-of-joe. Hot water also stayed hot all day - not many used it but it was nice to have it as an option.

Banquet: I found the food to be average. The dessert was an embarrassment for a $45 meal. I think the servers and staff tried very hard to make it work for us - they were very responsive to the requests that they could do something about. 

Brad LaBroad

We overbought on the bagels too. I think it was good to have something filling but not too sweet. If only there were a battery-operated toaster that would be legal ringside :P 

On the risk of overbuying — for a social club offering guests hospitality I suspect the impact of disappointment (running out of something) could be bigger, longer lasting, and perhaps damaging to reputation than the cost of a club absorbing some amount of waste.  Naturally the goal is to have the least waste possible, but I'd still rather err on the side of generosity.

Betty Hann

I agree that having more than enough is better than not enough ... a personal example was a wedding rehearsal dinner we were invited to last year .... the groom's parents way under estimated the amount of meat that was needed to BBQ for the # of guests they had invited. Consequently many of us only ended up with a wee bit of salad for dinner. Great if you're on a diet, but not so good when you're starving and there's no where else to go for dinner. Needless to say as soon as the party was over we high tailed it for a drive up burger at Burger King ?

Debbie Blanchard

The prizes were lovely and highly sought after.  It was great that they were useful too.  The food at the restaurant was average and I felt not enough was there.  Folks at the end of the line had to pick through, in my opinion, a not very appetizing remainder.  Agree with Peggy on dessert.  The raffle was wonderful as was the grand prize.  So glad other folks took on seliing the tickets.  What a relief!  The room for the Friday night event was perfect and the food selection was great although again we had much more than needed.  I like the ribbons we get from Sequim/Olympic but it's been suggested to change to MBF.  I'd like input on this from others.  There was more information shared amongst the board on costs and that was helpful to keep people in the loop as we went along.  Generally everything was well organized and people pitched in which was greatly appreciated.  Not sure what we can do about hotel rates and banquet costs?  Thanks to everyone!

Vicky Montgomery
Host hotel  Did not stay
Ringside breakfast I missed breakfast.
Ringside lunch I was very hungry by lunchtime so all the food to me was wonderful.
Casual Friday hosted get together  Did not go.
Banquet  The price for dinner at the Red Lion for $45.00 would have been acceptable.  I was disappointed with Warehouse 23. The room was not design for a public speaking and I could not hear what was being said. It was way too hot. Going outdoors was  hotter on the deck. The food was ok, I enjoyed the salmon, the salad was good and the pickled veggies. I did not like the dessert choices or not having plates for dessert. No bread if I remember correctly. The one appetizer was not enough for all of us. The servers tried hard but only one. 
Raffle/auction I thought the baskets were great. The main prize was very nice. 
Decorations If this means ring decoration the 20 theme was great. 
Setup space
Other

Peggy Appel

Banquet:  I thought providing the opportunity for banquet attendees to sign up for a table in advance worked very well. As was mentioned at the banquet, we should have numbered the tables. There was much less drama associated with finding seats than in previous years,

Earl Josephson

I felt the Obedience Stewards did a great job of keeping everything humming. Congrats to Vicky M. as Obedience Chair!

Vicky Montgomery
17 hours ago, Earl Josephson said:

I felt the Obedience Stewards did a great job of keeping everything humming. Congrats to Vicky M. as Obedience Chair!

Thanks Earl.

Vicky Montgomery

Hospitality Bags-- Betty Hann spent hours on the gluing baubles and handwriting CRCTC on each bags and I thought they were wonderful. However the contents of the bags were lackluster. I am sure Betty did what she could with what she had.

Betty Hann

There was a $100 budget for the hospitality bags. That covered purchasing 48 backpacks,  40 bottles of water bottled water (I donated the rest of bottles needed), 54 small bags potato chips (extras I added to the ringside hospitality food), 48 poop bags and some decorating supplies. All the rest of the items I hustled from pet stores I shop at and dog food reps I met at a doggie fun day. 

I guess if anything more extravagant is expected either more funds would need to be available for purchasing items or some very creative and energetic donation hustlers would need to be enlisted.

Cost per bag for the 2017 hospitality bags was approximately $2.00 each for the bag and contents. Plus the time of decorating the bags, rounding up the products, stuffing the bags, loading and unloading to and from the car, etc.

Thanks ... 

Betty ?

Liz Sterry

I am thankful for the poop bags! They were awesome. The extra kibble has been great to use to train my dogs around the house! My dogs loved the toy. I appreciate what we got! Thanks Betty For going above and beyond. 2.00 isn't very much. Liz 

Ilene Kaplan

At this point it probably makes sense to set a debrief date.. how about we debrief at the September general meeting on Sept 5.